From: Squashme on
On 21 May, 16:00, JNugent <J...(a)noparticularplacetogo.com> wrote:
> Squashme wrote:
> > ChelseaTractorMan <mr.c.trac...(a)hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> >> Squashme <squas...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >>> What would that be, for corner shops, and why can't corner shops do it
> >>> now? They have been around for a long time, after all.
> >> you cannot carry the variety if you only have a few hundred customers,
> >> corner shops are now places you nip out for the stuff you forgot, a
> >> paper or a bottle of wine and a lottery ticket.
> > How many meals can you eat? How much "variety" do you need? It's not
> > necessarily an improved diet.
>
> And you know best as to what other should and should not be eating, eh?

I probably know better than much of the population, and I'd guess that
you do too, unless you believe that people have a human right to
choose to be obese.
From: The Medway Handyman on
Squashme wrote:
> On 20 May, 19:35, "The Medway Handyman" <davidl...(a)no-spam-
> blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>> Squashme wrote:
>>> On 20 May, 18:28, "The Medway Handyman" <davidl...(a)no-spam-
>>> blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>>>> JNugent wrote:
>>>>> Derek C wrote:
>>
>>>>> [snip]
>>
>>>>>> The answer to Labour's hatred of motorists is quite simple.
>>>>>> Railways, buses and other form of public transport are highly
>>>>>> unionised and the trade unions are their major source of income.
>>>>>> Also they still live in a time warp dating back to the early part
>>>>>> of the twentieth century, when only rich toffs drove cars. The
>>>>>> proleteriat rode bikes, used buses or travelled 3rd class on
>>>>>> railways.
>>
>>>>> It's part of the answer, but not all of it.
>>
>>>>> The further answer is that Labour has always been wedded to
>>>>> quasi-religious views of the world, with pat faux-rationalisations
>>>>> and prescriptions for every social phenomenon.
>>
>>>>> You can see the advantage. Once formulated, the "catechism" can
>>>>> easily be imparted to the ultra-faithful (councillors, senior
>>>>> officer of councils, etc) and disseminated to the more docile
>>>>> sections of the population who prefer to let Labour do their
>>>>> thinking for them. The 'Boxer' effect...
>>>>>> Many bicycles these days are actually very expensive fashion
>>>>>> accessories for rich yuppies. The middle and lower classes now
>>>>>> drive around in cars, because this is the most practical way of
>>>>>> getting around and doing your shopping, now little local corner
>>>>>> shops have mostly been closed down in favour of our-of-town
>>>>>> supermarkets...
>>
>>>>> ...though only because they are an improvement on the corner shop
>>>>> (something a true believer absolutely *will not* hear).
>>
>>>> Stores like Tesco Express wil be the final nail in the coffin for
>>>> the corner shop - and quite right too.
>>
>>> Aren't you a "corner shop"?
>>
>> I'm a small independant trader yes, but not in retail.
>>
>> Several large companies have tried to lauch handyman services &
>> failed. B&Q for one.
>>
>> I'm more efficient at giving the customer what they want. Corner
>> shops aren't.
>>
>
> What would that be, for corner shops, and why can't corner shops do it
> now? They have been around for a long time, after all.

They simply didn't - or couldn't respond to a changing market. Tesco et al
are incredibly successful because they know what their customers want &
provide it.


--
Dave - intelligent enough to realise that a push bike is a kid's toy, not a
viable form of transport.


From: JNugent on
Squashme wrote:

> JNugent <J...(a)noparticularplacetogo.com> wrote:
>> Dave Plowman wrote:
>>> JNugent <J...(a)noparticularplacetogo.com> wrote:

>>>>> They do it because the sites are cheaper and people are stupid.

>>>> People are stupid to appreciate convenience, speed, choice, low
>>>> (compared to corner shops) prices, easy free parking and a general
>>>> atmosphere of welcome, are they?

>>> It's you who seem to be comparing to a 'corner shop', not me.

>> The corner shop reference was to the competition on prices which has only
>> come about since the advent of the (real) supermarket. Corner shops always
>> charged (and still do if they can get away with it), full RRP.

> And why do you think that might be?

Does it matter?
From: JNugent on
Squashme wrote:
> On 21 May, 16:14, JNugent <J...(a)noparticularplacetogo.com> wrote:
>> ChelseaTractorMan wrote:
>>> On Thu, 20 May 2010 18:05:22 +0100, JNugent
>>> <J...(a)noparticularplacetogo.com> wrote:
>>>> Bluewater, rather like its older "twin", Lakeside, doesn't actually sell
>>>> groceries.
>>> wrong, I go to the John Lewis food Hall there (Waitrose in all but
>>> name)
>> There's a M%S food section as well.
>>
>> No competition for Asda and Tesco there, eh?
>>
>>>> For that reason both Lakeside and Bluewater are analagous to an old-fashioned
>>>> city centre (catering for what geographers call "high-order shopping"),
>>>> rather than to inner-suburban high streets ("low-order shopping" - especially
>>>> groceries etc).
>>> wrong, they are not in centres of population like a city centre, they
>>> are not at the hub of the PT network, you have to drive there. I've
>>> tried Bluewater PT, it stops before the cimema complex closes.
>> No, you are wrong in saying "wrong", because I did not make the claims you
>> attribute to me. I agree that PT at Lakeside and Bluewater is less than
>> optimal. Just like it is everywhere else, in fact (with the possible
>> exception of central London). Did you miss the word "analagous", or just its
>> meaning?
>>
>> Those centres were designed for the car-borne customer. They are successful
>> because (among other things), families in cars are treated abominably by
>> local authorities.
>
> What precisely should the councils do to improve the treatment? Would
> the victimised motor-families be willing to pay for it?

Visitors to town centres and other inner-urban (certainly including those
whoe aim is to spend money there) should be allowed to get in and out of town
without hassle, for a start. That means no obstructions, no petty
restrictions, no deliberate delays, no "discouragement" and no general air of
surliness such as one currently gets (and has had for some years) from those
whose jobs are actually supposed to be to help, though they interpret that as
"hinder".

Then there's car-parking. The councils should remember that they need the
visitors more than the visitors need them.
From: JNugent on
Squashme wrote:
> On 21 May, 16:00, JNugent <J...(a)noparticularplacetogo.com> wrote:
>> Squashme wrote:
>>> ChelseaTractorMan <mr.c.trac...(a)hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>>>> Squashme <squas...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>>>>> What would that be, for corner shops, and why can't corner shops do it
>>>>> now? They have been around for a long time, after all.

>>>> you cannot carry the variety if you only have a few hundred customers,
>>>> corner shops are now places you nip out for the stuff you forgot, a
>>>> paper or a bottle of wine and a lottery ticket.

>>> How many meals can you eat? How much "variety" do you need? It's not
>>> necessarily an improved diet.

>> And you know best as to what other should and should not be eating, eh?

> I probably know better than much of the population, and I'd guess that
> you do too, unless you believe that people have a human right to
> choose to be obese.

Are you claiming that they don't?

Are you the *only one* with rights, then?

PS: Ever seen "Nuts In May"? You really do remind me of Roger Sloman's
character "Keith" - with his censorious attitude to the chav campers who cook
sausages for breakfast.