From: nigel nailhead on
VW Passat 1.9 tdi late 2001

The clutch is starting to slip and I suppose I need to replace parts. I
find that replacing the DFM (dual mass flywheel) is recommended.

It is an expensive item and seems to have a slightly dodgy reputation.
It seems there is the option of a cheaper aftermarket, solid (ie
conventional) flywheel.

The solid one would be a lot cheaper. Would it last longer?

Would the extra vibration be significant?

Any other pros or cons?

The original clutch has not reached 100K miles. My clutches normally
last forever. Could the DFM be responsible for reduced clutch life?

From: Duncan Wood on
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 00:10:20 -0000, nigel nailhead <blank(a)blank.blank>
wrote:

> VW Passat 1.9 tdi late 2001
>
> The clutch is starting to slip and I suppose I need to replace parts. I
> find that replacing the DFM (dual mass flywheel) is recommended.
>
> It is an expensive item and seems to have a slightly dodgy reputation.
> It seems there is the option of a cheaper aftermarket, solid (ie
> conventional) flywheel.
>
> The solid one would be a lot cheaper. Would it last longer?
>

Yes

> Would the extra vibration be significant?
>

That's a pays your money & takes your choice question, you'll notice it,
wjether or not you'll care is another question.

> Any other pros or cons?
>

Well in theory it also helps make the gearbox & cv joints last longer.

> The original clutch has not reached 100K miles. My clutches normally
> last forever. Could the DFM be responsible for reduced clutch life?
>

It shouldn't.
From: nigel nailhead on
On 19/03/2010 00:20, Duncan Wood wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 00:10:20 -0000, nigel nailhead <blank(a)blank.blank>
> wrote:
>
>> VW Passat 1.9 tdi late 2001
>>
>> The clutch is starting to slip and I suppose I need to replace parts.
>> I find that replacing the DFM (dual mass flywheel) is recommended.
>>
>> It is an expensive item and seems to have a slightly dodgy reputation.
>> It seems there is the option of a cheaper aftermarket, solid (ie
>> conventional) flywheel.
>>
>> The solid one would be a lot cheaper. Would it last longer?
>>
>
> Yes
>
>> Would the extra vibration be significant?
>>
>
> That's a pays your money & takes your choice question, you'll notice it,
> wjether or not you'll care is another question.
>
>> Any other pros or cons?
>>
>
> Well in theory it also helps make the gearbox & cv joints last longer.

Anyone noticed a difference in practice?
From: Rob Graham on
On 19/03/2010 00:22, nigel nailhead wrote:
> On 19/03/2010 00:20, Duncan Wood wrote:
>> On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 00:10:20 -0000, nigel nailhead <blank(a)blank.blank>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> VW Passat 1.9 tdi late 2001
>>>
>>> The clutch is starting to slip and I suppose I need to replace parts.
>>> I find that replacing the DFM (dual mass flywheel) is recommended.
>>>
>>> It is an expensive item and seems to have a slightly dodgy reputation.
>>> It seems there is the option of a cheaper aftermarket, solid (ie
>>> conventional) flywheel.
>>>
>>> The solid one would be a lot cheaper. Would it last longer?
>>>
>>
>> Yes
>>
>>> Would the extra vibration be significant?
>>>
>>
>> That's a pays your money & takes your choice question, you'll notice it,
>> wjether or not you'll care is another question.
>>
>>> Any other pros or cons?
>>>
>>
>> Well in theory it also helps make the gearbox & cv joints last longer.
>
> Anyone noticed a difference in practice?

I have a diesel Mondeo. It needed a new DMF. I was first told that I
could have a solid one and wouldn't notice it. I then was told that this
only applied to vans. I suspect that the manufacturers would not fit one
if they did not think it was necessary, particularly given the bad
reputation they have.

Rob Graham
From: Adrian on
nigel nailhead <blank(a)blank.blank> gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

> VW Passat 1.9 tdi late 2001
>
> The clutch is starting to slip and I suppose I need to replace parts. I
> find that replacing the DFM (dual mass flywheel) is recommended.

Wise.

> It is an expensive item

Not as expensive as having to get to it all again in a year when the DMF
fails.

> It seems there is the option of a cheaper aftermarket, solid (ie
> conventional) flywheel.
>
> The solid one would be a lot cheaper. Would it last longer?

Yes.

> The original clutch has not reached 100K miles. My clutches normally
> last forever. Could the DFM be responsible for reduced clutch life?

Very unlikely. Have you had this Passat from new?
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: reminder from dvla
Next: de-coking egr