From: chrisv on
Brent wrote:

>You really do like that strawman don't you? But alas, that's all it is.

Wrong. Although I see you are now abandoning your "there are other
choices" point to pursue your "it's all politics" point.

>The fact that you cannot address the actual points I make but snip them
>and insert your own words for them is extremely telling of how weak your
>view is.

I believe my paraphrasing was quite fair. Others can read and decide
for themselves.

From: Moshe Goldfarb on
On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 11:34:49 -0500, chrisv wrote:

> Brent wrote:
>
>>You really do like that strawman don't you? But alas, that's all it is.
>
> Wrong. Although I see you are now abandoning your "there are other
> choices" point to pursue your "it's all politics" point.
>
>>The fact that you cannot address the actual points I make but snip them
>>and insert your own words for them is extremely telling of how weak your
>>view is.
>
> I believe my paraphrasing was quite fair. Others can read and decide
> for themselves.

Doubtful.
Most people have you kill filed chrisv.
From: Brent on
On 2009-10-20, chrisv <chrisv(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
> Brent wrote:
>
>>You really do like that strawman don't you? But alas, that's all it is.
>
> Wrong. Although I see you are now abandoning your "there are other
> choices" point to pursue your "it's all politics" point.

I see you still don't wish to have any sort of debate or discussion that
involves me, only you against what you assign me.

>>The fact that you cannot address the actual points I make but snip them
>>and insert your own words for them is extremely telling of how weak your
>>view is.

> I believe my paraphrasing was quite fair. Others can read and decide
> for themselves.

That's why you had to snip.


From: Dave C. on
On 20 Oct 2009 17:06:06 GMT
Hans-Joachim Zierke <Usenetspam014(a)Zierke.com> wrote:

>
> Dave C. schrieb:
>
>
> > The AVERAGE is 20 tons.
>
> That's truly amazing. Where do I find that figure, outside of
> your phantasy?

Work as an OTR truck driver sometime. If you ever pull a load (load
only, not vehicle) less than 40,000 pounds, it will be under very
unusual circumstances and your employer will be pissed. Only load I
can remember that was lighter was due to a mistake by another driver
(who was terminated, and I had to correct the mistake). It's simple
economics. The law allows up to 80,000 pounds. Which means for your
average 18-wheeler, you can put 40,000 or a little more of cargo on
it and keep it legal. Trucking companies load to legal weight
limits, hardly ever going below legal by even a few hundred pounds.
Because to do so is a waste of money.

> > Very rarely will you see an 18-wheeler hauling
> > less than that, as it is considered a waste of money.
>
> Trucks never have to reposition? That's even more amazing.

If you are talking about 18-wheelers, a typical scenario is that you
are dispatched to pick up a load of (whatever). You are waiting for a
few hours while your (whatever) is loaded onto the trailer. The load
will be 40,000 pounds, maybe a little more. As soon as you are loaded
you have to cross a scale to make sure your axle weights are legal.
Many places that load you have a scale on site for you to use. Or you
have to go to a nearby truck stop. When you get there, you will find
that you are somewhere between 76,000 and 78,000 pounds (sometimes a
little more, but that includes the load and the vehicles and the driver)
and that you have certain weight on each axle. If necessary, you might
have to slide the axles to make the load legal (move more weight
forward or backward so that no axle is over-loaded)
But the weight of the load on the trailer doesn't change unless they
screwed up loading you and you discover you are over 80,000 pounds.
Even then, some load will be removed to bring the weight of the load
down closer to about 40,000 pounds. (as opposed to well over 40,000
pounds)


> > 8MPG is easily doable if you have the right equipment for the job.
> > At highway speeds. -Dave
>
> Fleet averages for 18-wheelers with aerodynamic tractors (Kenworth
> T-2000 and similar) are in the range of 6 - 6.5 mpg.
>

That's because fleets prefer to buy cheap equipment. Good equipment
with newer engine and tranny designs regularly get 8MPG or a tad higher
on the highway, with no special modifications necessary. And at the
speed limit. -Dave
From: Zeke on

"Dave C." <noway(a)nohow.never> wrote in message
news:20091020143851.5909986c.noway(a)nohow.never...
> On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 10:46:54 -0600
>
>
> Lightweight material loads are often moved in special trailers so that
> they can fit more weight on the trailer.

No they're not. A 53' trailer is a 53' trailer. A load of frozen french
fries probably will not cube it out and be at max weight, whereas a load of
frozen waffles might only weigh 18,000 lbs and be cubed out leaving only
room for the produce chute at the top.

> It's just unusual for a load to be light.

No it's not.



__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4527 (20091020) __________

The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com